Kempsey Shire Council operates a Waste Management Centre on Crescent Head Road, which is set up to take household, commercial, industrial, building and demolition waste.
Council also operates three (3) Waste Transfer Stations for domestic levels of waste only, at South West Rocks, Stuarts Point and Bellbrook.
What can I drop off for free?
Council offers many free services to our community for recycling and safe disposal, saving valuable landfill space.
Free at the Waste Management Centre and all 3 Transfer Stations
- metal recycling disposal (includes items with high metal content like whitegoods, electrical cords, car parts, wire)
- acceptance of recyclable containers (cans, bottles, jar, cartons) plus paper and cardboard
- polystyrene recycling (bean bag, packing material, produce box, fruit ‘n veg packing trays)
- printer cartridge recycling
- safe recycling for fluorescent lighting (mercury containing globes/tubes)
- gas bottle and fire extinguisher recycling/safe disposal (under 25L capacity)
- battery recycling/safe disposal (lead-acid batteries and dry cell single use or rechargeable batteries)
- mobile phone recycling/safe disposal (includes charger, headsets)
- household paint recycling/safe disposal and radio-active smoke alarms
- oil disposal for reprocessing (keep motor, hydraulic and transmission oils separate from cooking oils)
- e-waste recycling/safe disposal (TV, DVD/VCR/CD, Hi-Fi, game-consoles and accessories, MP3 players, laptops, PC & peripherals, tablets, digital cameras, video cameras, computer monitors, printer/fax/scanner)
Free services at the Waste Management Centre
In addition, the following services are offered for free only at the Waste Management Centre:
- ReUse Shop where many goods are given a second life and plenty of bargains can be found
- drumMuster recycling
- safe disposal for household chemicals
- clean soft plastics recycling (silage wrap, plastic bags)
- commercial loads are not accepted at the three Transfer Stations
- pre-sorting your wastes before arriving at a waste facility can significantly reduce your disposal charges, since many recyclables and problem wastes are taken free of charge
- asbestos poses a real concern to community health and must be dealt with properly through the Waste Management Centre.
- Find out more about asbestos disposal