Macleay Valley flood update #7
Media release - 12:20pm 20 March 2017
Macleay River water levels are continuing to fall. The level at Kempsey peaked at 6:30pm yesterday just below the minor flood level of 4.50m. The level at Smithtown peaked at 2.83m at 10:00pm last night.
Armidale Road closed by landslip
Armidale Road is closed at Nook Creek Road until further notice. A significant landslip has blocked the road and there is a risk of further slippage. The road will be cleared and reopened as soon as conditions allow but this is not expected to be today. There is no alternative route.
Roads affected by flooding
- Bellbrook, Toorooka, Temagog, Turners Flat and Sherwood Bridges are all closed and are not expected to open until late today or possibly overnight. The bridges are also expected to have silt and debris on them when they emerge and should not be crossed until floodwater is clear of the deck and they have been cleared of debris.
- Dungay Creek causeway is closed
- Gladstone Street, West Kempsey railway underpass is closed
- Old Aerodrome Road is closed
- Euroka Road is closed
There may be water over or adjacent to other roads - proceed with caution.
Macleay River levels
|Georges Creek||3.38m at 10:00am||Falling|
|Bellbrook Bridge||3.84m at 11:09am||Falling|
|Toorooka Bridge||4.52m at 11:12am||Falling|
|Turners Flat Bridge||4.75m at 10:00am||Falling|
|Sherwood Bridge||3.05m at 11:14am||Falling rapidly|
|Kempsey Traffic Bridge||3.49m at 10:15am||Falling|
|Macleay River at Smithtown||2.26m at 10:15am||Falling|
- Flood gates on Kinchela Creek, Belmore River, Euroka Creek and Christmas Creek are closed.
- Flood relief gates at Kinchela Creek and Belmore River are closed. The relief gates will not be opened.
Residents and visitors are urged to remain cautious on the roads for localised impacts and not attempt to drive through floodwaters or cross flooded bridges.
Next report will be issued by 6:00pm on 20 March 2017