Macleay Valley flood update #6
Media release - 6:45am 20 March 2017
Macleay River water levels are continuing to fall. The level at Kempsey peaked at 6:30pm just below the minor flood level of 4.50m. The level at Smithtown peaked at 2.83m at 10:00pm.
Armidale Road closed by landslip
Armidale Road is closed at Nook Creek Road until further notice. A significant landslip has blocked the road and there is a risk of further slippage. The road will be cleared and reopened as soon as conditions allow. There is no alternative route.
Roads affected by flooding
- Bellbrook, Toorooka, Temagog, Turners Flat and Sherwood Bridges are all closed and are not expected to open until later today. The bridges are also expected to have silt and debris on them when they emerge and should not be crossed until floodwater is clear of the deck and they have been cleared of debris.
- Dungay Creek causeway is closed
- Gladstone Street, West Kempsey railway underpass is closed
- Old Aerodrome Road is closed
- Euroka Road is closed
There may be water over or adjacent to other roads - proceed with caution.
Macleay River levels
|Georges Creek||3.79m at 5:00am||Falling|
|Bellbrook Bridge||4.44m at 6:09am||Now falling again|
|Toorooka Bridge||5.11m at 6:11am||Falling|
|Turners Flat Bridge||4.93m at 5:00am||Falling|
|Sherwood Bridge||4.87m at 6:14am||Falling|
|Kempsey Traffic Bridge||3.73m at 5:45am||Falling|
|Macleay River at Smithtown||2.56m at 5:15am||Peaked at 10:00pm|
- Flood gates on Kinchela Creek, Belmore River, Euroka Creek and Christmas Creek are closed
- Flood relief gates at Kinchela Creek and Belmore River are closed. The relief gates will not need to be opened.
Residents and visitors are urged to remain cautious on the roads for localised impacts and not attempt to drive through floodwaters or cross flooded bridges.
Next report will be issued by 1:00pm on 20 March 2017