Macleay Valley flood update #5
Media release - 10:15pm 19 March 2017
Macleay River water levels continue to rise slowly at Bellbrook but continue to fall at Toorooka, Turners Flat, Sherwood Bridge and Aldavilla. The level at Kempsey peaked at 6:30pm just below the minor flood level of 4.50m and is now falling. River levels below Kempsey have continued to rise as the flood peak passes downstream but are not expected to cause significant flooding.
Armidale Road closed by landslip
Armidale Road is closed at Nook Creek Road until further notice. A significant landslip has blocked the road and there is a risk of further slippage. The road will be cleared and reopened as soon as conditions allow. There is no alternative route.
Roads affected by flooding
- Bellbrook, Toorooka, Temagog, Turners Flat and Sherwood Bridges are all closed, will remain closed overnight and are not expected to open until later Monday. The bridges are also expected to have silt and debris on them when they emerge and should not be crossed until floodwater is clear of the deck and they have been cleared of debris.
- Dungay Creek causeway is closed
- Gladstone Street, West Kempsey railway underpass is closed
- Old Aerodrome Road is closed
- Euroka Road is closed
There may be water over or adjacent to other roads - proceed with caution.
Macleay River levels
|Georges Creek||4.82m at 8:00pm||Steady|
|Bellbrook||5.26m at 9:04pm||Still rising slowly (rise of 0.50m since 2:00pm)|
|Toorooka||5.19m at 8:57pm||Falling|
|Turners Flat||5.27m at 8:00pm||Falling|
|Sherwood Bridge||5.81m at 9:14pm||Falling|
|Kempsey Traffic Bridge||4.42m at 8:45pm||Falling (peaked at 4.49m at 6:30pm)|
|Macleay River at Smithtown||2.81m at 8:15pm||Appears to have peaked but could rise further|
- Flood gates on Kinchela Creek, Belmore River, Euroka Creek and Christmas Creek are closed
- Flood relief gates at Kinchela Creek and Belmore River are closed. On current expected river levels the relief gates will not need to be opened.
Residents and visitors are urged to remain cautious on the roads for localised impacts and not attempt to drive through floodwaters or cross flooded bridges.
Next report will be issued by 7:00am on 20 March 2017