Willawarrin
Kempsey Shire heritage

Willawarrin was part of the pastoral lease of Toorooka in 1842.

The village was just far enough away from Kempsey to warrant a rest and change for horses in the early days of travel. The first hotel was built in 1893 and was ideally situated for the traveller going to the New England.

The village was an important livestock selling centre between 1949-1970.

Willawarrin flood c1949
Willawarrin flood c1949

Source and photos: Courtesy of the Macleay River Historical Society

More information