Smithtown
Kempsey Shire heritage

Smithtown and Gladstone are twin towns separated by the Macleay River. Located on the left bank, Smithtown was known for sometime as West Gladstone. When the member for Hastings-Macleay, Robert Burdett Smith, secured a Post Office for the township it was a tribute to him that the name Smithtown was gazetted in 1877.

The land on which the township was settled was once part of Seven Oaks Station leased in 1840 by Major Henry Oakes, the first Commissioner for Crown Land on the Macleay.

Amongst early families associated with land ownership at Smithtown are the names Croad, Hoy and Christian.

Main Street Smithtown c1930s
Main Street Smithtown c1930s

Source and photos: Courtesy of the Macleay River Historical Society

More information