Crescent Head
Kempsey Shire heritage

Crescent Head was proclaimed a village in 1894, however, before this proclamation Crescent Head was already well-known.

It is believed that the name Crescent Head was first mentioned in 1833 in the NSW Calendar and General Post Office Directory.

“From Port Macquarie northerly there is a beaten track and the country may present some obstructions to the formation of a road; travelling is not, however, difficult; the tracks follow the coast which is a succession of sandy beaches extending from Port Macquarie to Point Plomer, thence to Crescent Head and then to Trial Bay…”

View of Crescent Head from Big Nobby c1950s
View of Crescent Head from Big Nobby c1950s

Photo: Courtesy of the Macleay River Historical Society