Korogoro Creek Estuary
The entrance to Korogoro Creek is located at the coastal village of Hat Head within the Kempsey Shire local government area (LGA) on the mid-north coast of NSW. Hat Head has a permanent population of 354 (Population Profile 2005) and is about 32km north-east of Kempsey located on the coast midway between Crescent Head and South West Rocks. Hat Head residents have a strong community spirit and actively seek to maintain the health of their environment.
Hat Head and its environs is a popular tourist and surfing location that experiences a major influx of visitors during school holiday periods. This influx often doubles or triples its population which exerts huge pressure on local resources. Tourism is a major industry within the Kempsey Shire LGA with 415,000 visitors spending an estimated $90 million per year (Kempsey Tourist Information Centre). The main attractions in this area include the picturesque coastal setting of Hat Head village and Hat Head National Park.
An Estuary Management Plan for Korogoro Creek is being prepared on behalf of Kempsey Shire Council and the Department of Environment & Climate Change (DECC), to fulfil the requirements of the NSW Estuary Management Policy (1992) and the NSW Coastal Policy (1997). The Plan will provide a program of strategic actions to assist government authorities and other stakeholder groups to sustain a healthy estuary through appropriate waterway, foreshore and catchment management. The Plan presents an integrated suite of management strategies, giving due consideration to the complex interactions between many estuarine processes and functions.
Management Plan and related documents
- Process Study - Consultant's Brief (PDF - 741 KB)
- DNR Spatial Data Requirements (PDF - 115 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Community Survey (PDF - 579 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Executive Summary (PDF - 387 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Historic Part 1 (PDF - 762 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Existing Data Part 2 (PDF - 2.4 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Gap Analysis Part 3 (PDF - 217 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Processes Part 4 (PDF - 2 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Issues & Recommendations Pt 5 (PDF - 220 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Glossary of Terms (PDF - 211 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Process Study - Appendices (PDF - 600 KB)
- Korogoro Creek Consultant's Brief - Estuary Management Study and Management Plan (PDF - 651 KB)
Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study
- Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study Part 1 (PDF - 2.4 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study Parts 2-3 (PDF - 1.7 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study Parts 4-6 (PDF - 1.9 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study Appendices 1 (PDF - 2.5 MB)
- Korogoro Creek Estuary Management Study Appendices 2 (PDF - 2.5 MB)