Mid North Coast flood assistance information

Port Macquarie Hastings Council logoNambucca Shire CouncilKempsey Shire Council logo

Phone: (02) 6566 3200 8:30am to 4:30pm


Damaged items

Kempsey Shire Council is offering a free, one off kerbside collection for flood affected residents in Smithtown and Jerseyville. Items placed on kerbs must be flood damaged. The kerb side collection will commence on Tuesday 5 March 2013 in Smithtown. Kempsey Shire residents in other flood affected areas are encouraged to phone Council on 6566 3200 to register their need for assistance/collection of flood damaged goods. These requests will be considered on a case by case basis. Alternatively flood damaged items for residents located in the Kempsey Shire can be taken to Kempsey Shire Council’s Waste Management Centre free of charge until 15 March 2013.

Dead stock

Kempsey residents with deceased stock as a result of the flood can dispose of the stock at Kempsey Shire Council’s Waste Management Centre free of charge until 8 March 2013.

Mental health

Agency Phone number Email
NSW Health - Mid North Coast Local Health District 1800 011 511  
Lifeline 131 114  
Men’s Line 1300 789 978  
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800  
Rural Mental Health Support Line 1800 201 123  
Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 infoline@beyondblue.org.au
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467  

State Emergency Services

132 500 is the number to call if you need the assistance of the State Emergency Service in non-life threatening emergency situations during floods and storms.

Personal hardship and distress assistance

The Ministry for Police and Emergency Services can provide disaster relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household items have been destroyed or damaged by a natural disaster. People with limited financial resources and no insurance may be eligible for assistance for essential household items and structural repairs to the home. Inquiries about the disaster relief grants and the eligibility criteria may be made by calling 1800 018 444

Primary producers - loans

Loans of up to $130,000 are available (subject to certain eligibility criteria), at a concessional interest rate for those in urgent need. These loans may be used to meet carry-on requirements and the replacement and repair of damage not covered by insurance. The NSW Rural Assistance Authority administers this scheme. Inquiries should be directed to the Authority on 1800 678 593.

Primary producers - transport subsidies

Transport freight subsidies of up to 50 per cent on the carriage of livestock and fodder are available to help primary producers. The maximum subsidy available is $15,000 per annum. Inquiries should be made to the nearest Livestock Health and Pest Authorities (LHPA) office. For general enquires, call (02) 6391 3242.

Small business

Loans of up to $130,000 are available at a concessional rate to small businesses affected by disasters and which meet certain eligibility criteria. This finance is available to those unable to obtain assistance through normal channels. The NSW Rural Assistance Authority administers this scheme. Inquiries should be directed to the Authority on 1800 678 593.

Motor Vehicle Stamp Duty relief

Duty relief on motor vehicles is available. If you replace a comprehensively insured vehicle that was written off as a result of a declared natural disaster, you may be eligible for a refund of duty paid on the registration of the replacement vehicle. Details of eligibility requirements, application forms and a list of declared natural disaster areas are available at the NSW Office of State Revenue website or call 1300 139 814.

Department of Primary Industries

The Natural Disaster Relief Scheme assists primary producers and small business operators affected by flood/fire/storm damage or any other declared natural disaster. To report damage following a severe weather event please telephone the NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) Drought, Flood & Bushfire Hotline on 1800 814 647 or email damage.report@dpi.nsw.gov.au


Crisis Payment is different from an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment. You may claim Crisis Payment if you have been affected by a disaster and you have not received, or are not qualified for, Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment or another disaster relief payment for the same event. To discuss crisis and special help:

Health and food safety

Floodwater can be contaminated with sewage, agricultural and industrial waste, and other substances that can cause illness. There is a danger that any food, surfaces and cooking utensils that have come into contact with floodwater might be contaminated. If you have any enquiries contact NSW Food Authority on 1300 552 406.


If you have a query relating to insurance you can call the Insurance Council on 1300 444 557. This service is available to all.

Contact list

Agency Phone number
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
Centrelink 131 794
Department of Primary Industries 1800 814 647
Insurance Council 1300 444 557
Kempsey Shire Council (02) 6566 3200
Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
Lifeline 131 114
Livestock Health and Pest Authority (02) 6391 3242
Men’s Line 1300 78 99 78
Mid North Coast Flood Assistance Line (02) 6566 3200
Ministry for Police & Emergency Services Disaster Relief 1800 018 444
NSW Health 1800 011 511
NSW Rural Assistance Authority 1800 678 593
Office of State Revenue 1300 139 814
Rural Mental Health 1800 201 123
State Emergency Service 132 500
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
NSW Food Authority 1300 552 406